Not only are the best mini stop motion kits great at bringing a child’s toys to life, they excel at getting kids to interact with technology. That is, outside of traditional handheld devices.
Mini stop motion kits can also add a previously unknown, new dimension to what they can accomplish with the technologies (e.g., smart phones) they have available. Though, it may be easier to purchase a kit that comes with a camera.
Before purchasing a stop motion kit, be sure you understand the technical knowledge of your child. Unlike some STEM toys or kits, mini stop motion kits can be challenging. They can also require much patience.
Best Mini Stop Motion Kits Summary
Without Camera: Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio (particularly if current price is around $20 and not MSRP of $35)
With Camera: Hue Animation Studio
Recommended Ages: 6 – 12 years old
- The kit comes with a nice array of accessories: phone stand, stages, minifigures, and blocks.
- The repeat play value with this kit is high. Kids who engage with it will spend 1 or more hours per shoot. It also encourage creative thinking and independent play.
- The Stop-Motion Animation Studio is not compatible with full-size figures.
- The stand works well, but it is prone to shaking which can disrupt a photo shoot. Some users have suggested using a selfie stick in conjunction with the stand.
If you do not need a camera, the Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio is one of the best mini stop motion kits available. The included accessories are much better than those included in similarly priced sets.
The primary opposition to this model is the potential disruption due to the camera shaking. Unfortunately, this can be a common concern with any non-professional setup.
Recommended Ages: 8 years or older
MSRP: $99.95 (can often find discounted)
- Hue Animation provides lots of tools to ensure you and your kids enjoy their animation studio: online tutorials, the comprehensive instruction book, and examples.
- For the price, the camera is very high quality and a great stop motion camera for kids to use; it is much better than the cameras included in comparable kits.
- Reviews are overwhelmingly positive. That said, a small number of users have been dissatisfied with the system, claiming that the kit did not work or the camera would not focus.To prevent any problems, we suggest checking the system before your return date expires.
The Hue Animation Studio is arguably the best value on the market. The quality camera, good software, and included tools all add up to an award winning stop motion kit that is popular in classrooms.
Recommended Ages: 4 – 10 years old
- The kit comes with a nice array of accessories: clear plastic stands, clear plastic sticks, stages with different backgrounds, cardboard cutouts, play-dough, and clay molds.
- Good, easy-to-use software make for an enjoyable experience
- The software features a clap-to-snap feature that can lead to inadvertent images that cannot be easily edited out of the native software
- Only includes 2 figures, and they cannot be easily posed.
For the price, you cannot go wrong with giving this set a try. Several librarians we spoke to recommended the set and Amazon reviews have been mostly favorable.
Recommended Ages: 4 years and older
MSRP: $25.00 (often discounted 20-40%)
- The kit has several useful accessories: camera tripod, two stikbot figures, and most importantly a green/blue screen.
- The set has high replay value with several durable components (tripod, figures) and useful, easy-to-use software.
- The green/blue screen is not durable and may become unusable after medium use.
- The stikbots, while fun, are not the easiest to pose in videos due to their elastic cording and dependence on suction cups.
Overall, this is not a bad set. However, for the price, I would recommend going with either the WonderForge Storymation Studio or the Minecraft Stop-Motion Animation Studio.
Recommended Ages: 6 months (really?) – 8 years
- The kit includes an awesome 290-page resource book to guide users through the basics and offer suggestions for movies.
- The software included with the kit is good for a beginner. But, you will want to find something different if your child uses it extensively.For example, you cannot add sound directly within the included software.
- The stop motion camera is kid-friendly, but its quality is not good enough to justify the price of the kit.
Absolutely cannot recommend.
If the price were lower, then this seems like a reasonable package of a decent camera and awesome book. The software, while almost universally panned, could easily be replaced with free alternatives available online.
Unfortunately, the price eliminates this one from consideration.
Recommended Ages: 6 months (really?) – 8 years
MSRP: $34.99 (often discounted 25-40%)
- One of the least expensive all-in-one mini stop motion kits available
- The kit comes with “103 OgoBild interchangeable pieces” which can allow your child to be as creative as she or he wants to be.
- Software is rather easy to use, but note that a premium version is available which is required to add sound.
- The manufacturer-provided suction cups are not able to always hold camera upright
- The camera is also not high quality and can fog and have difficulty getting into focus
I cannot recommend the OgoBild Animate It Studio Kit despite the overall favorable reviews on Amazon. The instability of the camera and multiple users mentioning the camera falling over make this kit too unreliable and too likely to cause frustration.
Know a better product available? Tell us in the comments what you think should have been included on our list of best mini stop motion kits.
Or, have experience with any of these? We’d love to hear about it in the comments.